Monday, July 9, 2012

I'm still here...I promise!

I can't believe how long it's been since I posted a blog!  Man, I'm behind!  The last weight loss blog I posted was when I was going to try Body by Vi.  I tried it, and I'm apparently the ONLY person who does not achieve desired results.  Figures....  I ended up gaining weight instead of losing.  WRONG DIRECTION! As much as I loved making the different shakes (which were very tasty BTW) and the convenience of them, I did not, however, enjoy the extra 5 lbs. it added to my ass.  So I decided my body and metabolism needed a good jump start.

After much thought, I realized that even if the shakes had worked, I did not want to spend the rest of my life relying on protein shakes for fear that stopping them would result in gaining all my weight back.  I know I have mentioned several friends who have gone to weight loss clinics and had great results, so I decided to look into one.  I found MD Wellness & Weight Management.  After talking for a long while with the front desk nurse, and talking to my mom about wanting something different that would "shock" my body out of its routine, I decided to make an appointment to see the doctor.  I wasn't sure what to expect as far as what he'd say I could and couldn't eat, but I knew that I was glad to be able to see a licensed physician who specialized in nutrition and weight loss.

After meeting Dr. Schaffer for the first consultation, I really felt that he would do as he said and treat me holistically - not just focus on what I was eating or how I was exercising, but also take into consideration my lifestyle as a teacher and temporary single mom with a long-distance husband.  He introduced me to the Paleo Diet, although he did not label it that.  I was taught that the body processes sugars and carbs the same way and when overloaded with sugar, the body's attempt at thwarting diabetes is to do something, anything, with the extra sugar.  That anything is storing it as fat when all other options have been exhausted.  If the body isn't using the sugar for energy, it needs to go somewhere, so into the fat cells it goes.  After hearing the list of what I could eat (all the fruits, veggies, and leafy greens I wanted) and what I couldn't (bread, pasta, soda, anything artificial) I felt overwhelmed, but excited.  Hey, I got to shop at Whole Foods where all the healthy people go!

My first trip to Whole Foods was an experience.  I felt so out of my element!  Everything was organic - something I poo-pooed previously, but now had to gravitate towards per Dr. Schaffer's orders - and there were foods I'd never even seen before!  Despite feeling the intimidation from the clog wearing, vegetarian, Rusted Root listening, yoga attendees who came shopping complete with their reusable, Earth-friendly shopping bags, I managed to get a stockpile of approved foods to start my diet.

I was excited to go back 2 weeks later for my weigh in to see how dramatically my body was changing.  Imagine my surprise when I only lost a fraction of a pound!  WTF!  I thought it was supposed to melt away!  Not that Dr. Schaffer gave me any impression that would happen, but I was looking to shock my body, and instead my body was lightly shaken.  Since The Husband and I would be going on a cruise (aka "floating all you can eat buffet") for our anniversary this year, you can imagine how freaked out I was.  I had no clue how I was going to follow the paleo diet while on a cruise.  I wanted to enjoy myself, not freak out about what I could and couldn't eat.  Dr. Schaffer gave me some tips and reminded me that this diet was really a lifestyle change that isn't easy at first.  He reminded me what to avoid, but said I could treat myself modestly when it came to the "do not eat" foods.

Well, we went on the cruise, and I did my fair share of drinking the daily cocktails offered and taking advantage of the great food on the boat.  I ate more than what I probably should have of the "taboo" foods, but TH and I went to the gym the first morning, snorkeled while at Bermuda, did a great deal of walking since the ship was HUGEMONGUS!, took the stairs when we only had a few flights to go, and danced our asses off every night at da club.  I thought for sure I'd come back at least 5 lbs. heavier than before I went, so you can bet I just about passed out when I weighed in and found out I HAD LOST 4 WHOLE POUNDS!!  Even though I had great results, I was expecting Dr. Schaffer to admonish me for not sticking strictly to my paleo diet, but instead he said my actions were fine.  He reiterated that this lifestyle change should not create headaches and not be fun, but rather be more of a challenge to eat healthy foods.  He said the most important idea I was learning was remembering and acknowledging how my body processed foods I eat.  Imagining I'm eating a bowl of sugar when eating a roll definitely helps to avoid it.

Well, I'm back from the annual Delaware 4th of July Bruhaha, and I did not have to wear a muu muu on the beach.  I wasn't rocking the bikini, but good things come to those who work their asses off, and I fully intend to do just that with this lifestyle change.

3 comments:

  1. Aimee, this was very inspiring to me. I'm going through the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! And super jelly that your husband is willing to go with you and shake your booties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rebecca - Thanks chick! It's always good to know you're not alone.

    @Erin - Bear in mind it was complete with "white man overbite"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...